LOVE YOURSELF LEAN: INTENTION

5

It is a very subtle, yet powerful shift when you change your intention surrounding diet and exercise. My dear friend and powerful life coach Peter Crone helped me realize that most people, including my former self, go to the gym out of FEAR.  They are working out (and hating it) because they fear that if they don’t workout, they will get fat. If you shift your intention to simply wanting to feel good, your body responds much more quickly.  It is along the same lines of self-love. Don’t get bogged down by obsessing over calories and whether you should do cardio or weights.  Understand that sweating is good for detoxifying the body. Movement activates the lymph system, which cleans out the unavoidable toxins we pick up from our food and environment. And confidence-boosting endorphins are released when you do workout. All of these things keep you healthy and make you feel good.  If you hold “feeling good” as your focus and see working out as a way of honoring yourself, your body WILL begin to transform.   You will feel good in the moment and feel even better when you start seeing results.

The same goes for food. Many people eat with a mindset of fear and it spirals them into a vicious cycle of depriving and bingeing. When we obsess over foods we should NOT eat, we want them even more.  And then when we do eat them, we eat quickly out of guilt, don’t even enjoy the experience, and then beat ourselves up as we visualize the scale exploding the next morning. The way I stopped this cycle of guilt and compulsion is the 90/10 rule.  90% of the time I eat pretty clean and healthy. The other 10% of the time I eat exactly what I want and enjoy every minute of it. This 10% may consist of pizza, ice cream, sweet potato fries, chips and guacamole, etc. And if one Sunday I just say f*@k it and go a little crazy on the burgers and cocktails, I simply workout a little harder in the morning or eat a little cleaner the next day.

When you eat clean, nutritious food most of the time, your body will eventually stop craving the crap.  It does get easier people!! But emotions, stress, hormones, and parties can all cause us to go off the rails and indulge in the junk. Give yourself a break and do the best you can to find the balance. A healthy mindset is the only way to stop the Yo-Yo. And if you have a moment of weakness and find yourself with donut in hand, ENJOY EVERY MORSEL…and maybe share half with a friend…or the garbage can :)

PREVIOUS: MINDFULNESSNEXT: EXERCISE

2 thoughts on “LOVE YOURSELF LEAN: INTENTION

  1. Pingback: LOVE YOURSELF LEAN: MINDFULNESS | DESPERATELY SEEKING NOONAN

  2. Pingback: DESPERATELY SEEKING NOONAN

Comments are closed.